Saturday, February 3, 2018

Kickstarter Update And Light Box Test


I walked outside yesterday to find my Kickstarter pledge box from Battle Kiwi sitting on the porch. The KS is based on the Endor moon from Return of the Jedi and is made for the upcoming Star Wars Legion game by Fantasy Flight Games.


The box definitely showed signs of being abused on it's very long trip.


Coming all the way from New Zealand I can only imagine the number of hands that touched (let's be honest, threw) the box at some point. I think a bit more tape would have prevented the splitting of the box though.


There were three major pieces (all MDF and painted a dark gray color) in my pledge along with stretch goals. This was the kit that made me buy into their KS - such a cool looking building and there is talk of expanding it with corridors and other rooms which will be really neat.


This was a design that actually came after the initial KS started if I remember correctly, and seeing it now it's clearly going to be the coolest kit of the three. I'm sure it's going to be huge :)


And finally the shield generator. I'm not sure about the small dishes surrounding the main dish though, I probably won't put those on.

So that's pretty amazing considering the KS funded on December 2nd and I got my entire pledge on February 2nd - and shipping all the way from New Zealand too. Good on ya mate!


Another KS update came from Knuckleduster this week and it gave the entire breakdown of stretch goals that backers will be getting for free. This list is just crazy and money-wise has to break down close to my $135 pledge. The mat alone is close to $50.00 by itself. Hopefully you can click on the photo and be able to read the list better. If you are into gaming the old west, this was a KS not to miss.


And speaking of KS, I almost made it through the first month of the year without backing a new project. Almost anyway lol! I backed this resin terrain KS by Hayland Games a few days ago. Way too much cool scatter and room terrain to pass up - above are just a few examples.


And speaking of terrain lol! I grabbed these really neat sets from a Hobby Town while out doing some errands last week. Should be nice additions to future games once painted up.


As you may remember I bought a new light box for taking photos of my miniatures and it arrived last week. I took my first test photo with it today and I have to say I'm blown away :)


Here was the original photo of these Indians I took back in this post. The difference is simply night and day, and it absolutely verifies that the light box was a smart purchase.


Here is a close up of  Crazy Horse. Now you can see the details of the war paint and even the feathers on the hatchet.

And lastly, a welcome to new follower Vagabond! He's doing some really neat stuff over on his blog.

Until next time, thanks for looking!
Ivor

14 comments:

  1. Great to see your KS rewards arrive safely Ivor, they look very nice indeed. Plus the light box appears a god-send too. Great work on the native american btw :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty excited to get them built up - the problem will then be buying SW Legion stuff... sense a wallet killer it is hmmmmmmm
      Chuffed with the light box results :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ivor, thanks for the welcome, that's very nice of you.

    The resin furniture looks interesting and your light box is giving amazing results. I have to say whenever I photograph my mini's all I see are the imperfections so maybe I should stay in the dark, but with your figures I can see why the box is a big improvement for you, displaying them in their full glory.
    Do you still have the western game to play? I had just played a similar scenario but my rustlers didn't even get to the coral :-).
    You could look at six gun sound the 2HW set for solo play. Last time I looked they were out of print but I found them somewhere on the web. Sorry don't know where though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It still boggles my mind that people actually follow and comment on this madness I create lol!
      I am halfway through the solo game on the makeshift old west table - we're remodeling the master bathroom while the wife is down south until April so it's really cutting into my hobby time currently. I'll definitely give them a search, as I've mention many times it seems if I actually want to roll dice anymore I have to have some kind of solo play rules available.

      Delete
  3. The box reminds me of Ace Ventura ... "Got a package people..." lol!! At least MDF is durable. Looking forward to seeing those kits assembled. The light box was a great investment ... still waiting for mine to show up :-) Great looking natives!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Your right lol! Damn, that could have made for a perfect gif right below the box photo lol!
      You'll have to keep me posted on when yours arrives, I'll interested to know if you got the same bulbs in all four lights.

      Delete
    2. Will do ... and I knew you couldn't resist KS :-) lol

      Delete
    3. I almost made it a full 30 days, that's gotta count for something :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Ivor, that sure was a fast kickstarter but it Starwars & with FFG's pushing on with their Starwars stuff its no real surprise to see it, I think MDF unlike plastic is quicker to set in motion once the money is there to do so, hope you'll be as quick getting them ready so we can see it in all it's glory : )

    The lightbox really does make a difference shows up all you great work much better, seen pictures of the same model in & out of it shows just how well it works, a very good investment for you I'd say : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valid point about Legion releasing so soon that that probably expedited everything - I'm not sure there is any other company doing terrain like that currently.
      I think just the four lights it came with are going to be worth the cost, I can see them easily being set up in the corners of the game table to help get better photos :)

      Delete
  5. Excellent haiul and great results with the light box Ivor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice results. I am going to have to bite the bullet and get one I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon! Definitely recommended, especially as I mentioned above how it can be pretty easy throw a light in each corner of the game table to help get better photos of in game action.

      Delete